It came as a bit of a surprise to me that this Facebook conversation was happening between my adoptive FB friends and their adoptive FB friends and their adoptive FB friends. I could not believe how many people posted that they have had teeth challenges with their daughters and sons. I was shocked. What is happening, all these adoptive kids have teeth issues? And then it dawned on me that T's first doctor visit to an adoption specialist told me this may occur - of course she told me about a gazillion other things to be aware of all while attempting to get blood from a dehydrated baby. Oh for the love of all things, that was the most crappy day for me as a new parent. Another story for another day...
Fast forward to her first dental visit - she has soft teeth beware! Second visit, she has cavities (excuse me? plural?) - cavities most likely, most probably from poor nutrition as an infant. Seriously, she was 7 months when she was placed in our arms and frankly I made it a mission to reverse whatever poor nutrition, attachment needs, development needs etc etc she may have had (have? - I don't even know what tense to use here). I read every crazy book out there to prepare me for whatever an adoptive child may bring - but not once did I read anymore than a blurb about teeth. Where are the PhD and research candidates looking for a topic???!! It makes perfect sense of course, but we are so in tune with focusing on what we see we forget what we don't see.
So, I am watching this discussion unfold and counting the number of adoptive parents with kids barely into preschool/school talk about cavities, cracked teeth, fillings....crowns!! Sweet mother, the fillings were bad enough. No amount of balloons, prizes, and promises of ice cream (we were desperate, don't judge) was going to make her yield to this business. She of course came out unscathed and quite ready to go back because bravery is easy after it is over. Daddy unfortunately was scathed (better him than me :)).
Have I gone wrong with all these books? I mean they may have been informative but they were not the end all for answers on all topics apparently. So now let me turn my attention to these wonderful crooked, soft baby teeth...
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Teeth (Baby teeth) are developed in the fetal stage at approximately the 6th - 8th week of fetal life - but adult teeth as also formed during the fetal stages at 20 weeks gestation. If the mother is malnourished, or not getting the right nourishment during her pregnancy the baby can be affected. If you are on well water, she is not getting fluoride in her water another source of poor dental health.
Post a Comment