Sunday, October 20, 2013

Guarari Community, CR - Just for me.

I know this is blog is all about my experiences as an adoptive mother - raising one child, and soon (please let it be soon) another child. Taking a side step from those joys, I wanted to share an experience which I embarked on to celebrate my pending 40th birthday....yeah I said it, 40. Anyway, I was drawn to attend a shoe distribution with a company that I feel very strongly about, Soles4Souls. Most of the comments I received, were along the lines of, 'You are traveling alone?' - as if this was some kind of freak occurrence. I mean technically I wasn't going to be alone, I was meeting up with a group of people I didn't know to work with for 3 days. Simple. There was the possibility I would be bunking hostel style, sharing a shower, presented with LOTS of meat at meals. Simple. I wasn't going to make life long friends, I was going for me - selfish as that sounds.  I wanted to so something that didn't involve being connected to my phone and giving back in the process. The hardest part was disconnecting and by far the best part.
I met up with four fabulous ladies at the Miami airport - marketing, psychology, distributing, traveling. We instantly clicked, thanks goodness as we kept each other grounded and laughed a lot. We were all traveling 'alone' for similar reasons. Once we arrived in CR we met up with a church group, who were...hmm, how do I say this, well some seemed to be on just 'another' mission trip and trust me when I say they seemed well traveled and versed on this subject. Perhaps they will get another stamp in their passport to heaven - I don't know.  Anyway, don't get me wrong there were a few lovely, sweet people in the group and there was no damper of my experience. :)
The trip really concentrated on shoes...lots of shoes. 926 pairs of shoes in 3 days. It was exhausting, it was pure teamwork, it was opening our eyes to things we tend to forget in our homes with hot water and cable.  It was an experience I will not soon forget - how can you forget the little kids grinning up at you, wanting to hug you, wanting to try their English, kids so happy to receive stickers, a ball a necklace as if it was the best part of their day? You cannot.

 
Home away from home - CEDCAS.

Our host and the rock that makes this community so special. The kids flocked to her upon our arrival. She is truly one of a kind.

 What I woke up to each morning...sunrise over Volcano Irazu.


The community center and safe haven for many kids.

 The school yard

 Snack cart - school is two day 1/2 day sessions

Typical classroom

 The shoes, the boxes and boxes and bags of shoes.

First stop - Measuring

 Next stop - washing

And finally - the fitting. This little boy's name was Randy. :)



 Little girl in one of the dresses my niece organized making. She made 25 herself. So proud of her for doing something for someone she may never meet.

 Dresses were a big hit with the Mom's and girls.


And finally...my ladies and unexpected friendships.

No comments: