Sunday, March 31, 2013

'Somewhere Between'

If you are looking for a movie to make you reflect on your decision to adopt, thus changing the life of a child and in a larger sense a family, in addition to making you realize, in your face realize, the humongous responsibility you have placed yourself if as an adoptive parent, then 'Somewhere Between' should be watched. This was an interesting look into adoptees and their need to find out more...it made me think (oh and cry - a lot). I have read so many parenting books, adopting books, culture identity books that try to put things in perspective - but nothing will prepare me for the path T and Baby H2 will want to take their story. And that is truly a take home from this movie - it is their story, not mine. Don't get me wrong I never thought it was my story alone. I am a mere hand to hold, to guide as all parents are in their child's life. I will do my best to prepare them, but in the meantime who will prepare me? I'm still working on my witty response to personal questions about her adoption I am getting better, gentler. Who will prepare me to handle her heartbreak, prepare me to be strong no matter what they find out? This movie and its bonus features (because you haven't sobbed enough), leaves one question unanswered - one questioned I have yet to come across - one little selfish question....how do the adoptive parents feel? I'll tell you how I feel in the moment of watching a few of the scenes, I felt scared and anxious. Our responsibility is awesome and overwhelming. I went in T's room and watched her sleep and cried AGAIN. I whispered to her that I'll do my best and I hope it is good enough. I hope your biological Mom looks up in the sky and thinks of you. I hope shes knows you are loved. I hope one day if we meet her (and I don't vomit in the moment) that I can hold my head up high as you release my hand to hold hers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We are going to see it on April 14th I must remember to take a box of tissue with me. Thank you for the insight. I pray that I will be able to handle the situation when Big B and Little H come to me with questions of their adoption. Love and kisses to T.