Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas is coming...


Our Santa visit went from complete excitement in line, to I don't want to sit in his lap to Momma sit with me to Santa saying lets get a family photo. Yes, my husband thought he would be spared but you dare not say no to the big man.  Tessa squeaked out she wanted a 'beatin ho' to which Santa looked at me oddly. I swear we are a wholesome family my return look conveyed! For those who are curious, 'beatin ho' is toddler for fishing pole and she tells you quite matter of factly if you don't repeat it as such.  We don't fish so thanks to Dora I will have a new hobby come spring. She was able to answer one last question from Santa, in a mere whisper, that she had been good the whole year ...then practically leaped off his lap.  

December is flying by and with all the cookie making and house trimming I can hardly believe  Christmas is in two days. I am so tired I cannot begin to explain. We have had a string of illnesses in our house that are rotating through the family members. I had my turn this week and still haven't caught up on my sleep. Add to this Tessa deciding napping is no longer necessary for big girls and I am spent. When do kids stop napping and don't they know it is a lovely option that many adults would gladly exchange with them?? Anyway, I swear I could lay my head on this keyboard and be asleep in under 5 minutes. The drool might cause some damage.

I started hosting a family Christmas party after my in laws passed away. I really began to feel like the only time we saw each other as a group was weddings and funerals.  I am sad that it took a death close to me to begin this tradition. You know how I love hosting parties, but this years build up and prep was more laid back and less stressful for me due in part because I really had no time to get all worked up about planning. It was fun having everyone and this year I remembered to take a photo!

As was everyone I was stunned into tears about the shooting in CT. I cannot imagine the strength those parents will need to get through this holiday without their little angels. I have cried (a lot) and held onto my family a little tighter. Tessa and I went to a craft fund raiser for the kids at the SH elementary school. We made angel ornaments incorporating all the names of the shooting victims. As the healing for the surviving children will be a long process, all donations for this fund raiser will help purchase art kits to help those children express what they are feeling. I realize Tessa is clueless about what occurred and her innocence is still pure so really this was mommy therapy as my heart aches for those families. Any amount of support I can provide, no matter how small means a lot.
 

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and may 2013 be full of blessings.