Sunday, March 14, 2010

Xiaoyuan

And so it became official that Tessa's middle name will be Xiaoyuan - keeping both the link to the place she has spent her first several months and the link to what identified her for the first six months of her life. We hope she will like our choice and embrace her heritage as she grows. Certainly we will do what we can to support her in this path. We are lucky to have a local support group and a Chinese language and art school within a short distance from our new home.

I have been reflecting these last few days on what has changed in our lives in the 4 years since we started our journey. We have lost 3 family members in this time - we are now both without grandparents but never without the memories and support that they provided. We have gained two new family members - and dear MM you are a sweet for letting me hold your newborn for hours, my bicep may never be the same. We have made many new friends along the way, some who I know will have a life long connection to our family. Our relationship has strengthened beyond mention and we have found laughter and love in those little things that you sometimes take for granted and perhaps found annoying at times.

I don't know what kind of parents we will be; I don't think anyone really does know before they become a parent. We certainly are ready for the change, more now then when we started this process, but that doesn't make us any less apprehensive about what the next few months will change in our lives.

Tessa will be receiving a package from us shortly which includes an instant camera and a photo of us. She won't understand of course, but it is only fair that she gets to see us and her nannies get to see the couple who has been waiting for their little girl. Included will be a letter to her nannies - I am at a loss what to say. Thank you just doesn't seem to cut it, but I suppose it is a start.

1 comment:

GA GA said...

I know for a fact that you will be great parents. The patience that it took to wait so long for Tessa, the kindness and love that you show other children in your family. I don't think that you have left anything out. I love you both.
You have thought of everything before I thought of it. For instance: I was wondering about a Chinese school and if you would be sending her to one. We have them here also. It is good to let her keep her language as well as learn her new one.