Saturday, February 23, 2013

Year of the Snake

Happy New Year - tomorrow is the 15th day of celebration which for many Chinese concludes an extended period with their families, cleansing of the home and celebrating ancestors.

Our FCC celebration is always quite lively as the ages of children are evidence of the shift in time it takes for forever families to be made. We have a large number of 6-9 year olds and are slowly increasing the attendance of toddlers. T spent most of the night either hanging outside the circle of the 6-9 year olds (around the desserts) or dancing.

This is an event to dress up, gorge on sugary snacks and dance. She was excited that her China doll matched her so it got a rare outing with us. China doll was immediately put back on the shelf when we returned home - not by me, by T. Still not a doll lover, only when they match your outfit apparently. This kid loves to freestyle and had her nose quite out of joint she was not allowed to hijack the dance troop on the stage. She kept repeating "but I want to dance with an umbrella"...loud enough to get the attention of those around us but not over the music. She was in awe of the girls dancing, completely riveted. Laying on the floor with her chin in her hands riveted.






And then there were the sweets - sugary juices, cookies, cake. Dinner was a complete bust for me being that I don't eat meat and was basically a bust for her being that she had consumed so many message cookies by that point. She kept saying "I need one more message cookie, you need one?"and off she went. She may have eaten 8 total - I lost count. She was all over the place, but I took comfort in knowing she was safe, having fun and that every other parent had a kid just almost as wild. I doubt anyone can look at these pictures and say sugar has no affect of behavior...OMG!


Happy Year of the Snake