Friday, July 22, 2011

Bit O' History - Rwanda



I was researching Rwanda, after reading a few blogs and wiping away tears. I found an interesting tidbit about the flag. Apparently the flag was changed in 2001 to help avoid connections with the 1994 genocide. The genocide is unfortunately one part of history that Rwanda is best known for - in part because of the movie Hotel Rwanda. There is no way for me to wrap my head around how this violence could erupt so quickly. The genocide ended with over 500, 000 people dead, 20% of the country population by some estimates.

The flag with the large R is the old flag. As with all flags the colors represent something - in the case of green and red it represented peace and people. Ironically these are two things which clashed. This flag obviously wasn't very inspiring. The new flag has less dramatic colors but retained the representation of peace with the large blue band. I look at this flag an immediately think it is backwards. Don't you think the sun should be on the left?

The shear difference in the amount of blogs for Rwanda adoption versus China adoption is astounding to me, although not a surprise. I actually found a family who adopted a little boy from Rwanda and a little girl from China. And here I thought we were the first! They are lovely as are the other 3 blogs I have stumbled upon. Adoption blogs represent indirect support systems while you go through your journey.

You tend to thirst for information when you adopt. I read China adoption blogs like a mad women trying to imagine myself in their lives loving on MY child all the while torturing my broken heart (okay, okay - it was jealously). I find myself quenching that need again, but with a different feeling - the prospect of this new journey takes me to Tessa and how this will affect her life. Having a sibling is a blessing, you don't always appreciate them but then you can't imagine life without them. I have yet to get that image of our daughter in Rwanda, it took a while for China but one day it just happened and I knew. Being drawn to a country is different than being drawn by your heart knowing your child is waiting for you. They are of course connected....until then I will do as I did for while we waited for Tessa. Hope.

1 comment:

China Dreams said...

The second flag isn't showing in the post.
If you want to see a better movie than Hotel Rwanda, watch Sometimes in April. It was made by HBO and it is superior to Hotel Rwanda for telling the story of Rwanda in 1994.

I know exactly what you mean about this unquenchable thirst for knowledge about your child's homeland. For years we planned to adopt from Ukraine. I still remember some of the language because I had started listening to it in the car in preparation.

Ruby