Saturday, May 21, 2011

Acadia







Back from vacation and exhausted...
Taking Lexi and Tessa on a 10 hour road trip was a lot of work. You don't realize how much room a dog takes up in the back until it dawns on you the 5 tons of baby gear that is actually needed for a trip. Lexi is excellent in the car and was happy to come along - besides she got so many table scraps this week I am surprised she didn't have digestive upset. The weather didn't cooperate at all and the entire week was rainy and chilly. I felt like we were going to turn into mushrooms by the end of the week. Maine in May is unpredictable we were told, but you risk being eaten by black flies in the summer or crowds, which may be about equal to some people. We went with friends of ours and their Granddaughter, who was determined to teach Tessa how to write and some simple math (her words not mine). She wants to be a teacher, even at the early age of 9. Tessa loved having 'Mimi' (Mia) around - copying her Irish dancing moves, being an active participant in the carnival that she created.
We made the best of a rainy cold situation, venturing out to alternate places only to discover some good food that we wouldn't have found had the weather been nice. Our photos are gray and I am sure do not showcase the area's beauty. I, however, may never know as this was the second time my husband was at Acadia and the second time it rained the entire visit....he probably won't suggest we come back.
We were able to squeeze in one day of hiking around Jordon's Pond. Three easy miles, right?? I completely underestimated the 24 pound little girl on my back. Forging ahead Will took the pack and I started to complain about the cold. Tessa loved it, she was all smiles the entire time - even in the drizzle and even if by the end she had socks on her hands to keep them warm. The trail was very interesting as you can see in the pictures. I so wished we had more opportunity to hike, with approx. 152 miles of trails we could have been very busy (and sore).

1 comment:

China Dreams said...

A bad day at Acadia is still better than a good day...just about anywhere else! Glad you were able to get a hike in after all. Hopefully you got some "lobstah" while you were checking out that food.

Ruby