Friday, October 22, 2010

6 months people (then and now)



Wow, does time fly. Six months ago today we met Tessa and although it doesn't feel like she has been with us that long it does feel like I have known her forever.
In my heart they say, but I don't know if I buy that. My image of her changed so much over the 4 years, so much I can't remember what I thought she may look like. My heart ached for her a long time that feeling I know well.

I look back on the pictures from April and I am not sure who looks more in shock us or Tessa. She is so melancholy it is hard to believe she is the same busy little girl. Will and I look dumbfounded, not to mention the nice greasy sheen we have because of the heat. Seriously, they just hand you this baby, allow you to ask a few basic questions which you aren't even paying attention to what the answers are and then you are off. Figure it out!! Similar I suppose in some ways to bringing home a newborn. The main difference being that you are in a foreign country, with few choice supplies no family to ask questions and this baby who looks at you dazed thinking 'oh boy this is NOT how it is done'. So surreal looking back, what a weird amazing experience.

We plan to celebrate our Gotcha Day each year as a family, though at this point I am not sure how. Right now I am thankful every day for the little girl we were matched with and I am also thankful for all those people who helped us along the way.

5 comments:

MaryKate said...

beautiful sentiment....beautiful child

China Dreams said...

It is a pretty terrifying day all the way around, even though it's also the start of something wonderful.

Aunt T said...

Beautiful story! Can't wait to give her more Georgia Love at Thanksgiving! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

GA GA said...

I think as you have said before, "My baby is in China." You (both) ARE a perfect match for Tessa. I believe that God was and is a wonderful matchmaker!!

Sarah123 said...

Beautiful! I could never really picture what our Lily Mei would look like while waiting. It certainly wasn't the sad little girl with crazy hair in our referral picture. I certainly never imagined she would be as beautiful and clever and hysterical as she is. How fortunate we both are!