So Will and I chose to use the G diaper instead of traditional diapers. It has been a month now and we have been using them about 80% of the time. I thought I would give some pros and cons in case anyone else is considering them.
First, G diapers are an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional diapers. A cross between a cloth diaper and a regular diaper. They require a cloth cover and a plastic liner which is attached via snaps to the cloth piece. The pads fit snug within the plastic liner and the entire unit closes with Velcro similar to traditional.
What is attractive about the G diapers is that they can be composted (wet only) and can be flushed (solids too). We are not flushing as I am simply not willing to risk my septic system and we are not composting as it requires separation of the solid/liquid type. And lets face it I am not that good. I wanted to do cloth diapers but after much discussion and the lack of diaper service in this area we changed our minds.
As far as absorbency I don't see much of a difference. The pad in the G diaper is huge, the traditional has some sort of gel in it to assist in absorbency. When we use traditional diapers we are using a version that has less gel, but it is still there. I am not keen on this gel especially when it is on her at changing. The G diaper does tend to bunch between the legs as there is nothing keeping the pad adhered to the plastic liner. I have no doubt the G would leak at night with my little one. (See previous posts on night wetting)
One down side if you are a germophobe is that the G diaper requires more touching of the messy pad. They don't wrap nicely and cant be secured by the flaps like a traditional. So needless to say your diaper pail has many escapees if you know what I mean. Also you need to prep the units ahead of time and obviously if the liner of cloth piece gets messy you need to launder them.
The G diaper unit is bulky and doesn't fit under some of the onesies or pants that are more snug fitting. This, in my opinion, is the biggest drawback. The diaper covers themselves come in nice colors so bloomers are needed if you are dressing your child in such an outfit.
Hope this helps....more photos of Tessa to come.
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment