


Tessa had her appointment at the pediatrician in NYC yesterday. We decided to have her first examined by someone familiar with the challenges that are often seen with children from an orphanage setting. The doctor only treats adopted children and volunteers worldwide on these efforts. She also has two adopted boys. This may have been overkill but in retrospect we are glad we made the decision - though at the time I thought different. Tessa got a complete review - not only physical but emotional as well (of course we answered her questions). She got a relatively clean bill of health, although she has low muscle tone in her legs and what may be a vitamin D deficiency. Both of these can be corrected so the doctor wasn't that concerned. Tessa is on the American growth charts (if barely). She is 6% for weight and 19% for length. The exam started horribly as they decided to take blood first - a lot of blood. Well, her veins are tiny (duh, she is tiny) and they couldn't get a vein - mind you they tried like 5 times. I seriously thought I was going to pass out - she was screaming herself hoarse. So in the end they decided to take it from her neck - yeah, that is what I said her freakin' neck! I started to cry and was asked to move away from the table. Will jumped right in and they were successful. He was getting doctor praise while I blubbered in the corner. Mom guilt #1.
And yet, Tessa still smiled at the doctor afterwards. Will and I went directly to the bar down the road after this ordeal and had a drink (with lunch). Tessa slept for 5 hours.
Everyone is asking how we are coping with the baby. We are fine, the cats are fine but Lexi is not. She has had diarrhea for 2 days (TMI, I know) - bland diet? No difference. I started getting worried and we visited the vet. Apparently my sweet pup has colitis from the stress of the changes. Seriously, colitis people. I had no idea dogs could develop this. Mom guilt #2.
Yeah, babies change everything. You learn what you are brave about and what you aren't. Your love for them grows stronger through each event. And you learn to spread your love to all members of the family to help them understand that the little one will be a good pal one day.
One final note on the Crocs photo - Tessa needed a little height in order to bounce as her feet don't quite hit the floor at the lowest setting. These were in reach. Working on the muscle tone - must be a buff!
3 comments:
Oh boy...mommy guilt at every turn! Hang in there Kelly!
My sister, who's a pediatrician, says it's normal protocol to take blood from their neck or their heads when they're that little or dehydrated. Don't feel too guilty- it's normal practice for the real little ones or when a baby is sick. I would have been crying too if it were my little one.
Tessa is precious...she has soulful eyes and I can see why your mother instinct is strongly evoked. Lexi will get better - the stress of you being gone for so long then you come home with this little thing that blows snot bubbles, cries and gets a lot of mom attention is troubling for the baby. She'll adjust - just hang in there!
I cried when you had your PKU,Kelly so I can imagine it was almost impossible not to cry for you. Remember Tessa will not remember any of this. You two are really great parents already. See you soon. Love GAGA :)
P.S.Just having her stand up in your laps will help her to strengthen her legs and then possibly a walker thing that lets her move around or a bouncy seat.
Muscle tone, shmuscle tone. Just having her up and doing regular baby things will tone her up in no time. They evaluated Lily at a 9-11 month old level (at 19-20 months old) for fine and gross motor skills and within 3 months she was completely caught up and even surpassed the milestones. They just need to be given a chance to do the things they weren't able to do in China. Tessa is already excelling at being super, duper cute so....I'm just sayin.
Post a Comment