Monday, May 3, 2010

Chen Temple




As we sit here this afternoon Tessa is spitting (her new trick) and babbling instead of napping. Spitting is especially fun when you are being fed. The little monkey is feeling better today and acting more like the little one we were handed the first day. We went to the Chen temple which was gorgeous and in a different style than the Forbidden City. I personally liked it better, but still felt we didn't get enough history or meaning of all the carvings. It is amazing what they can carve in wood and stone and the colors were incredible. Today is another hot day, but this was shady so it wasn't too bad outside. Ignore the rotten look on my face and look at the temple instead..then check out the close up of one of the carvings. Beautiful.
Tessa decided to go tropical today, and we still were asked if she was a boy or girl....please note the outfit.

We also went shopping for jade today - big trouble. We decided to buy a nice piece to give her when she is older. The sales staff must have worked on commission, they were very attentive to everyone. The store was filled with Caucasians, apparently all the agencies take their groups here. Hopefully this is good stuff and not junk - perhaps I will never know.

I decided to buy Tessa a royal blue dress for the red couch picture. Obviously red would clash! We will probably buy her a larger dress for when she is in to "dressing up" just so we have it. The dresses costs 5 dollars, so it is a deal. Some of the Mom's are buying the traditional gift per year, which seems fun if you are a shopper. The prices of most things are fairly reasonable. If you like to browse, this is not the place for you. The shop owners like to show you things - but you can haggle prices.

I know it is a bit cheesy but I like the little dresses, certainly the babies look adorable in them. Will and I are split - he doesn't like the dresses so much and I don't like the creepy adoption Barbie we received. The hotel is sponsored by Mattel toys so each family gets a Barbie (or a truck for the boys) when they arrive. The blond Barbie is holding a Chinese baby and Barbie is wearing some pink hoochie mommy dress in high heels. Yeah, that is exactly how I feel right now! Maybe I can trade it in for a truck??

Tomorrow we go for the medical exam at the American Consulate and to get her VISA picture. She doesn't get vaccinations as we are not filed under Hague - thank goodness, we are at our max of miserable baby and small room. Ah, but when she smiles that all melts away.

5 comments:

tiffany said...

so did you do the red couch thing? also i didn't see the girls in their dresses...

Sarah123 said...

We were at our maximum tolerance toward the end of our trip. It was HARD!!! I look back now and wish I had enjoyed it more but it wasn't that enjoyable quite frankly. Lily was the only highlight at that point and we just wanted to be home. Hang in there!!

Sarah123 said...

Oh, and Tessa totally looks like a girl!!!! A really, really cute girl!!!!

GA GA said...

..I guess we will see the blue dress and the red couch in tomorrow's post.
..They asked if you were a girl or boy when you were dressed in pink with a pink bow taped to your hair. Go figure some people!!

Bill said...

congratulations. She looks great. Interesting what people ask. Definitely looks like a girl outfit. The temple looks very beautiful. Have a safe trip home.