Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Walmart





Today we had a day of rest, right after the group trip to Walmart. We weren't allowed to bring in our camera's which should tell the whole story right there. The selection of food was quite an experience. There seems to be a lot of marinated prepacked and very fresh meats here. We have some of these selections at the hotel restaurant as well. The group mainly focused on diapers and wipes. One thing I can say is that the people who were working were very friendly and willing to help you even if you didn't understand one another. I feel like that is lost in many stores back home.

We have one lady who adopted with us who speaks Chinese and as we were standing outside Walmart waiting for everyone she was talking to a group of ladies. People flock to the babies to "help you" - cover them up (they like babies dressed warmly here), remove their thumbs from their mouths (that happened to me) or just talk to them. Anyway, one of the ladies told her Tessa looked like Will. This is the second time someone has said this to me. I better check flight records! :)

The families then opted to eat at McDonalds - yeah, we don't eat McDonalds so we had a milkshake for lunch. We experienced changing Tessa in the McDonalds dining area - that was fun. She was looking at us like we were nuts, fumbling around trying to complete the task quickly. The bathrooms at McDonalds were unisex and were squatters, no nice little changing table folded on the wall (no, I wasn't expecting that).

Tessa has finally ventured away from formula to sweet potatoes, which again I couldn't feed her fast enough. We only brought one package and couldn't find them at Walmart. She still hates the jellied soy slop that all the other kids seem to love - I don't blame her, it looks gross. We attached a copy of the restaurant signs, perhaps this is talking about the jellied "delicacy".

We had a band outside our hotel today playing music. We have heard firecrackers almost everyday. These things happen randomly and intermix with the incessant honking of horns. Tomorrow we are scheduled to go to a museum, but we may opt out and go explore.

Tessa is doing great, except for her cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly/Will,

Kate was like Tessa is now in the eating department; she couldn't get the food in fast enough.....Dot

Sarah123 said...

It's funny how each of the babies just fits perfectly into their new families. She does kind of "look" like you guys. People tell me Lily looks like me and I just say thanks and giggle inside. I think it means they are the perfect match to our family and perhaps if we were in fact Asian we would look alike. :-D XO Tessa looks amazing, enjoy her and the bands and firecrackers. There were a bunch of those celebrations while we were there too and the guide would just roll his eyes a little and say government celebration.

GA GA said...

American food for Tessa, she says. She will like it when you puree her food from what you eat at home. Anything should taste better than the jellied delicacy. eeeeuuuuuwwww

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly, I love the pictures! She is sooooo beautiful. Must be the location you are in, Ken and I didn't have one person approach to cover up Li Li. Don't forget to walk in the park in the morning Guanghzou. It is fascinating to see hundreds of people doing Tai Chai, groups of families. Are you staying at the White Swan Hotel? And shop shop shop while you are there! It is safe to eat at Lucy's there too. Just down the block from the White Swan. You're all in my prayers. God Bless.