Friday, April 30, 2010

Last Day in Changsha






We are coming to an end of our time in Changsha. I can't say I am heartbroken about it. The best time of our day is in the room with Tessa - just hanging. The tours have been a nice change from the four walls, but we are always glad to get back. We are at a downtown location and nothing is in close walking distance. We went to a silk factory today which was incredible - these women sit and do intricate detailed work all day. The work is beautiful. Will saw one of the workers on her cellphone and said she was the slacker in the bunch. I would hope they get lots of breaks to rest their eyes and to get off of those very uncomfortable looking stools. While we were there one of the workers asked to hold Tessa and paraded her around to all the other ladies. There was lots of chatter - hopefully not about her bare legs! Unfortunately no silk pieces in the shop caught our attention, but we did by a book that had sample work in it.

Tessa is having rough nights due to her cough, which of course means we are as well. We are going to try some Chinese tea mixture one of the parents got at a local pharmacy. Fingers crossed it works. Lily's family is using it and they say it is helping with her cough. She sleeps most easily sitting up in the carrier so I was surprised we made it through the silk factory awake this morning. She slept through the entire trip through the Provincial Museum yesterday and missed her first look at a dead body. It was close to 2000 years old very well preserved and just the sort of thing to take American tourist to see with their new babies. The body had on a toupee. I don't understand why someone bothered, who cares if she has nice hair while on display. The museum was a nice summary of the history of the area and was rich with archaeological finds.

A large group of us went to another local restaurant last night. One of the Mom's that is with us speaks Chinese and she is awesome. We wanted hotpot, but she said the restaurant owner was trying to rip us off so she ordered other things for us (it was either that or walk out). The vegetables were awesome and so were the deep fried chive dough something or other. There was lots of meat dishes as well. The guys all did a shot of some local distilled liquor. Will said it was like ethanol and could have been used a fuel. I did a wimpy little sip.

So what have we learned about the misses? She likes to play on her back more than sitting up. We figure this was how she was most of the time and she laughs at you if you lean over her. She isn't fond of being on her belly and isn't rolling over - her paperwork says she was but she isn't. Tessa has bonded with Will the best, she stares at him a lot (perhaps she thinks he is funny looking). She grabbed on to his goatee and got this weird look on her face like what the hell? Is it going to attack me?

Tessa's right ear sticks out farther than her left and she puts herself to sleep with her right arm over her mouth making sucking noise. When she is tired she scratches the bed (or you) with her nails. We are planning on getting her a scratching post and her and the cats can join forces. She has a little scar on her upper forearm. We aren't sure what this is from (perhaps a vaccination?), but her orphanage friend has one as well.

On to Guangzhou...

7 comments:

GA GA said...

Love the picture of Will and Tessa!! Everybody in this forever family is in love-you can tell from the looks in their eyes.

Tracey said...

Look at Daddy Will! That is priceless! You can almost see the love strings wrapping around his heart! WOW! Nothing like daddy-love!

Sarah123 said...

Smiles yeaaaah! So cute and her little birdie leg has a little chub on it I see. <3 Lily has the same scar, it is from a vaccine can't remember for sure but it's one we don't give in the US bc not really effective TB maybe? I'll double check. Don't worry Lily liked Matt better at first but it didn't last! :-D

Sarah123 said...

Yes, it's BCG, the vaccine for TB.

Karen said...

I was gonna say, it is the BCG. The scar will look better the older she gets. My D S has one too.

Alli Cacciatore said...

I finally got a chance to catch up on your blog, and I cannot wait to see you three! I can see the joy on your faces and I know it! Safe home!!!

Danielle D said...

What great pics, Kelly!! She is absolutley beautiful! I love the one of her and Will. Words can not express how hsppy i am for the two of you! Danielle :)