Sunday, April 25, 2010

Changsha-Gotcha Day!!!

We arrived in Changsha around noon after a 4 am wake up to put our bags out for the flight. The hotel in Beijing packed us sack breakfast to take along, although quite frankly it was more of a dinner. It included a salad and sandwich - of which I didn't eat. I busted out my peanut butter and the one precious apple I carried from the states simply because I wasn't in the mood for a salad at 6 am. The food on the plane was interesting as I opted to order the traditional Chinese meal. It consisted of congee with a packet of vegetables to mix with it, a black egg, a fruit cup and some sort of sweet bread stuffed with bean curd. I didn't eat the black egg opting to bring that home as a little gift to my father in law - it is sealed no worries.
Will didn't eat lunch on the plane and the lunch I had wasn't exactly filling so we were starving around dinner time. We ventured out last night to eat alone at a local restaurant. Yes, Yes I know this could have been risky but we are both fine this morning. We ordered via pictures and were brought out hot water to drink. Both of the meals were yummy, but I am sure they were wondering why we weren't finishing the plates. The portions were huge (larger than US portions) so I am unclear if we were at a family restaurant or if locally food is shared amongst the entire table. We found the place matching the Chinese characters from a scrap of paper a kind lady wrote down for us. I felt like we were on the The Amazing Race. We kept stopping holding up the paper going is that it?? We are blending in fine! haha.

Well today is the day. Will and I are both up early and I am not sure if it is the excitement or the rock hard beds that we are sleeping on. We were informed last night that the babies would be arriving late in the day versus in the morning as we were originally told - I thought there would be anarchy but everyone seemed okay with the change. We have unpacked and are ready to welcome Tessa to the room. We are so excited and anxious and I would be lying if I didn't say a bit apprehensive on what our first days may bring. On the bus ride to the hotel yesterday Michael told us to be patient with the babies, give ourselves time as they will be scared, it will be very hard to first few days. He is here to help. This is right after he rattled off times to be here or there and what we needed to bring to each place. Only one mother wrote all this down - no it wasn't me. Hey, we all are depending on each other here...

3 comments:

Tracey said...

We're giddy with anticipation! Hee Hee!!!
Did you have trouble with the bags on the intra country flight? Hope you didn't take out any cute outfits! :)

Sarah123 said...

Shoot, I was hoping to sneak a peek before going to sleep. ;-) So excited for you guys! Lily just threw up in her bed from coughing, she has bronchitis, and I immediately thought to check your blog. I don't know why, sorry!! Anyway, your guide is right but don't let that take away from the amazement and joy!!!! All THREE of you will be strong and do great! Oh, and I was the one parent to write down the info and we were unable to discern what the heck It was I frantically scribbled down. :-D
Sarah

Sarah123 said...

Oh, and very impressive on the eating out adventure. Far more courageous than we were!

Sarah and Matt